Thursday, August 14, 2008

Is television dead?

Interesting story in the Christian Science Monitor says the Internet and other forms of video delivery have already blurred the lines between television and the other forms. It cites a number of examples showing that we are in the process of dramatically changing our viewing habits (nothing will change mine as much as did TiVo). Although I look at computer screens far too much and will admit that YouTube is addicting, I can't imagine giving up my nice big HDTV for a smaller screen. Still, I know some do. Last September, I quizzed my class of Marquette Honors students on their viewing habits. Of the ten students in class, one never watched television, five watched it like the rest of us, three watched it primarily on computers, and one claimed she watched television only on her cell phone.

The bottom line is that change is happening in all media, and all these confident predictions about the future are just that -- predictions.

No comments: