Saturday, April 4, 2009

From the dimmest skit comes a truth

I just watched an incredibly lame Saturday Night Live skit on how the funnies might save newspapers. After the usual batch of lame jokes, often in bad taste, came the savior of the comics pages -- Sudoku. I've often thought that one savior of newspapers would be returning to a key function from the past, entertainment.  It really hit home when my wife and I were discussing what we might do if the Journal Sentinel quit publishing a print edition.  We already read the New York Times, but my wife said we'd have to find one with Sudoku, the word games and crossword puzzle.

People buy products -- including newspapers -- for different reasons, and a number of them buy for the entertainment quotient. So, of course, most newspapers are cutting back on their comics and games. 

No comments: