Wednesday, May 6, 2009

"How do you get ahead in an industry that can't see it's own future?"

Fascinating piece by Leslie M.M. Blume on msnbc.msn.com about the future of those in journalism. It's a harsh assessment of the current situation (it's headlined: "The media’s lost generation/How do you get ahead in an industry that can’t see its own future?"), but does a fair -- if a bit pessimistic, in my opinion -- job of summing up the situation we're in now. I've always been a bit of an optimist, and believe that there are no industries today that can see their own future. The key is for media companies -- and media entrepreneurs -- to find what that future is. Every study I've seen shows that people want information. As someone who uses Google several times a day, I find it increasingly frustrating. I believe that some sort of gatekeeper role will evolve, and that journalists will be a big part of it.

No comments: