Saturday, June 28, 2008

Copy editors fight back

With the news that the Orange County Register is testing having some copy editing and design outsourced to India (see previous post), the American Copy Editors Society has launched a website, Why Editing Matters. As a former writer who early on had a great story ruined by a disagreement between subject and verb in the first sentence (I was at a small paper and was my own copy editor -- a recipe for disaster), I have always valued copy editors. Can someone in India capture the nuance needed in a story at Marquette? I don't think so. Anyway, it's interesting to read some of the comments (66 since June 25), go here. My favorite -- and one that every student should notice -- is "Because I just graduated from college and need a job." I'm sure the writer is thinking only that they want to keep jobs in America, but clips and resumes (and at some of my past posts) demonstate the need that all of use need editing.

No comments: