Friday, June 27, 2008

J schools and new media

Editor & Publisher explores whether journalism schools are properly preparing students for the new media environment. Especially biting (and, frankly, wrong) is an observation from Dennis Ryerson, editor of the Indianapolis Star, that "Journalism schools are always [trailing] behind the industry, and today it's more so." Leaving aside the use of "always" (which our students find on a list of absolutist words that should be rarely, if ever, used), I don't think Ryerson is looking at most newsrooms. Frankly I'd suspect that a far higher percentage of our graduates have used Flash, InDesign and a web authoring program than than the percentage of journalists in just about any newsroom, including that of the Star. Still, the story is well worth reading.

1 comment:

James A. Molnar said...

When I read the article Thursday I thought to myself, "This isn't Marquette, which is being proactive about morphing its program for the better (but the morphing is far from complete)."

BUT I cannot help but be a little narcissistic knowing that I have a better chance in the newspaper industry when I graduate because other schools are NOT adapting as much.

One point I will bring up in my blog post on Monday is that schools need to continue to focus on basic skills first then add to it. Most of all, though, it is the responsibility of the individual to be proactive in the changing field. A school can only do so much.