Monday, July 21, 2008

A question for the media 2.0 folks

Interesting thoughts from a Delhi new media expert bring a question to mind. What if we're going at this thing backward. Why not ask what the audience wants rather than what the technology will support. I realize there's an age gap in technology use. But, frankly, I don't want my television on my cell phone; it's too small. Why try to watch the Brewers on a 1" by 2" screen when I've got a 32" hi-def set in the next room? A room, by the way, that has five remotes -- including one "universal" remote that is so complicated to use for some applications and lacks important functions for others that it actually is useful for one device only, and then not nearly as efficient as the remote that came with it.

I certainly want to know what the Atul Sonis of the world want to say, but far too often what I am hearing is "Gee, our wonderful technology isn't being used to its fullest extent. If only you media folks would layer in this function or that it would be a wonderful world." What I want to hear is this: "The media audience wants its content delivered this way, - - - - - -. Here's a simple adaption we can make to our current offerings to match our publication to their desires."

No comments: