Tuesday, December 2, 2008

And for another view . . .

Unfortunately, Steve Outing's view is one that I'd sum up as "print readers are old, stodgy, and just going to die, so forget them already and put all your eggs in digital, even though you're losing money at it." Even though that's basically what Outing is saying, I wonder why he thinks print managers should just concede the future? Remember how radio killed newspapers, and television killed radio and movies?

Frankly, I strongly believe in the future of digital and online media (not so sure about some of the less content-rich forms). However, I can't believe in just forgetting print. People are still buying lots and lots of magazines and books as well as newspapers, which still are selling a lot better than the Outings of the world would have you believe. So why is it good business to just give up?

Mr. Outing comments (be sure to follow the link at the bottom of this to his comments) that I'm misinterpreting his views. I agree on the need for newspapers to build a digital presence, my concern is that too many newspapers are simply sitting around waiting for their print edition to fail. As a holder of far more stock in media companies than I wish I had (that $16 a share for Journal Co. stock a year and a half ago seems awfully good right now when it's hovering around $2), I want to see them at least go kicking. That said, Mr. Outing's comments are important -- which is one reason why I regularly read his columns on the Editor & Publisher site, and recommend that you do, too.

1 comment:

Steve Outing said...

Whoa. You're misinterpreting what I wrote. I'm saying there's life left in print, but do it right for the (still large) audience that still wants that format. The (older) demographic that wants to stick with print will respond best to serious, watchdog, enterprise journalism (stuff everyone talks about at the office the next day). Focus on that and not the old way of trying to have something for everyone (which you can no longer afford).

Also, with print newspapers thinning and degrading -- as journalists get laid off, the remaining get overworked, and experienced journalists get offered buyouts to be replaced by inexperienced young journalists -- few people are going to stick by crappy newspaper print editions for long. So the way to save print is to enmesh it with digital services. Print + online + mobile = a "newspaper" brand that older readers will stick with.

I don't have hope that young people will take to print, no matter what publishers do to "reinvent" the paper edition. We're seeing that with the Tribune Co. redesigns.