Monday, April 13, 2009

Blogger criticizes police; police seize computers

For those who think the world will be just fine without big media companies, I point to this story about a blogger in Phoenix whose house was raided and computers and other files seized by Phoenix police. He runs a blog criticizing the police. Without forming judgements on the merits of either his blog or the police actions, I note that the blogger, while receiving some publicity (especially on the Internet; little in established media), is carrying on his fight by himself at quite some legal costs. It offers a chilling prospect for any individual who faces the prospect of running afoul of local authorities. I remember when I once was served papers threatening a million-dollar lawsuit, I felt very confident because I had a corporation and its attorneys backing me me. I'm not sure I'd have written the story if I didn't.

No comments: