Monday, January 4, 2010

Optimism in the newspaper industry

Today's Wall Street Journal reports that a recent spurt of advertising has created some optimism in the newspaper business. I've noticed (and maybe it's not new, but it seems new to me) a resurgence of automobile advertisement in the Journal Sentinel. I've wondered for some time when advertisers will start wondering if all that cheap Internet advertising actually works. I still haven't seen anything showing it does. I still keep wondering if the real estate industry's flight from newspapers to the Internet might not have something to do with the housing slump (sure, that industry's in trouble along with the rest of the world's industry, but it seems to me that the Internet isn't the most efficient way to choose houses).

No comments: