Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Journalism schools swarming with new students

       In my classes, I tell students that we live in the best of times for journalism and the worst of times. Apparently students agree.
      The Chronicle of Higher Education is reporting that journalism schools are doing quite well, thank you, with lots of entering freshmen anticipating the new journalism opportunities offered by journalism schools, and believing that their education is readying them for journalism in whatever form -- despite the dismal industry situation.
      As I like to say, newspapers may die, but journalism won't. And I love the tools now available to journalists. I sincerely wish they had been available when I was reporting on a regular basis.  I watch what my students do, both in class and on the Marquette Tribune, Journal and Online, and can only dream about what they'll be able to do with journalism in the future.

No comments: