Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Newspapers continue to commit suicide; that's one way of reading this AP report

Hari-kari is defined as "ritual suicide by disembowelment practiced by the Japanese samurai." It's a slow self-inflicted death.

This Associated Press report demonstrates that American newspapers are committing hari-kari by "losing many of their youngest reporters, editors and photographers at the same time publishers are trying to break some of their old habits and learn new tricks on the Internet." At the same time, they are also badly hurting diversity efforts at a time when the country is getting more and more diverse.

I love newspapers. I read newspapers. I count on newspapers to hold off media chaos. But I sure want new thinking in newspaper boardrooms. And I'm not sure I'm going to see it in the U.S.

No comments: