Thursday, June 5, 2008

Should we yawn?

Yesterday, a Microsoft executive predicted the end of paper versions of newspapers and magazines within the next 10 years.

"Microsoft chief Steve Ballmer tells Washington Post staffers: "In the next 10 years, the whole world of media, communications and advertising are going to be turned upside down -- my opinion. Here are the premises I have. Number one, there will be no media consumption left in 10 years that is not delivered over an IP network. There will be no newspapers, no magazines that are delivered in paper form. Everything gets delivered in an electronic form." -- Today's Washington Post

In, I believe it was 1995 but I can't find it for sure, Bill Gates, while announcing a Microsoft tablet, predicted the end of books within five years. I'm still waiting.

That doesn't mean big changes aren't ahead -- but I'm not sure about the end of paper, especially for magazines.

No comments: